Sunday, March 11, 2007

Who Are You?

I’m not talking about your name or your social security number. More specifically, what are some of the words that you use to describe yourself? How do you perceive yourself? Many years ago, I put together 8 words that, once I had them memorized, I would use them as a mantra chanting them over and over – repeating them to myself as I would walk or pedal my bike while exercising around the neighborhood. The words I chose were powerful, positive, ongoing, successful, tremendous, awesome, wonderful, and creative. When I first started reading these words over and over again to myself they didn’t seem to flow together. But before long a mental track was carved so deeply into my mind that they effortlessly began to roll off my tongue. It was then that I started to detect a real difference in my behavior. I became more focused than ever before. My desires changed as I became driven to take more precise – more effective actions allowing my goals to come closer to becoming reality. Those 8 words were having a profound impact on who I considered myself to be. I was so pleased with the results of this very simple effort that I had made that I decided to have the words printed on the back of my next order of business cards. I listed them with a warning! Be careful of the words you choose to define yourself because they just might come true!

The advances I was making with myself were only compounded when the word got out about my business cards. People from all walks of life would spark up conversations with me in the wildest of locations. They would usually open with telling me from whom they acquired my business card or from where they found it. Though the stories were rather interesting, they were almost guaranteed to lead in to how much of an impact this simple message had made in their lives. Of course this was very nice to hear and it certainly lead to me meeting a great deal of people, each with their own special story, but even though the results did a great deal to support my personal motivational progress, unfortunately any benefits that those I had spoken with had received were sadly short lived. The uniqueness of the back of the business card and the warning it imposed had an initial impact – for some more than others as a few had told me that they actually made an effort to read it once every night before going to bed – but without the repetitive driving of those words into their neural pathways for the weeks and months that I had, any possibility for long-term benefits simply did not exist. Sure, there had been some benefit by them having read the words in the first place as any positive reinforcement into our minds is certainly better than none at all, but to realize the depth of extraordinary change that I was enjoying they would have to dedicate far more effort and commit, if not my words, then a list of their own to memory and repeat them over and over until the fire that I felt became self-evident within them.

How long does this fire take to ignite? While I can only speak for myself, it is probably much less than you think. I started feeling a real difference in myself after about 2 weeks of working with my chant, but I have seen great results in others after only 2 days of reciting their list of words when they know what positive results to expect.

The premise behind the repetition of the empowering words you have selected to make your own is based on the general understanding of how computers work: Garbage In – Garbage Out. And by that same line of thought: Good Stuff In – Good Stuff Out.

Widely accepted statistics clearly show that the most heard word up until the age of 12 is the word “NO.” And to make it worse, that word is usually followed with something specific that you cannot do. And since our brains have developed as storage devices and not forgetting devices, those limiting commands keep adding up to the point that it is a wonder that we can ever tie our shoe laces in the morning. Now, we cannot go in our brains and erase the “No”’s and other negative statements that have been previously recorded, but we can choose better – more motivating, and positive information and start consistently adding that “good“ data to our gray matter storage tanks.

If you can imagine a scale where the positives are all stacked up on one side and the less than positives are all stacked up on the other – every time you do something as simple as repeat the 8 words you have made “your own”, you can imagine those positive statements adding up to the point that eventually you witness a shift in the weight on those scales taking place. It will be slight at first, but as you continue to input more and more positive information into the network of your mind, it will begin to work in new and positive ways. If you do not accept responsibility for what goes into your storage device, then you are simply granting others the power to control you. Not necessarily like a robot, but with enough negative external stimuli, even the most guarded of human trained minds eventually break down and follow external information. Information that, quite possibly, could lead you down paths that you normally would not have taken had you been left alone. When you accept responsibility for what goes into your body’s computer, you begin to evaluate what you would like to read and hear. What you consistently allow to be around you in the form of “input”. By making a conscious decision to seek out higher qualities of the statements you wish to receive and add to your life, and then increasing the quantity of that information, you begin to compound the benefits of what you are adding to the positive side of the scale. The neat thing about starting this process is that in a very short time you will begin to detect real changes in your life. A short time after that you will see changes in those around you as the information that is coming out of you changes the type of information that others around you are receiving! The benefits become self-evident long before the scale begins to shift in the other direction. Any alteration of the positive side of the scale that results in an increase will affect the entire pool of mental resources that you pull from.

After having committed my first 8 words to memory, and using them literally for years, I sort of just stopped there and I have no idea why. Don’t get me wrong, I certainly continued to receive the benefit of my actions on many levels, but I am rather embarrassed to say that for some reason it never occurred to me to select another 8 words and start memorizing them as I had the first set in order to further expand what I had already found to work. Looking back I see how blinded I was by the first level of success I had achieved.

Once I had realized the affect that 8 little words had on the way my life was turning out, I contemplated the notion that 8 more should really enhance the new control I had been enjoying. So guess what I did. That’s right, I found 8 more and started a second mantra. Now I repeat the 16 words over and over adding even more weight to the now more heavy, winning side of the scale. The results have been fantastic. It is said that we create our realities. I propose that if this is true then our minds are the builders. And, as with real life workers, these builders need supplies – a pool of resources that they can draw from in order to construct our realities. If you will take the necessary responsibility and begin selecting the words that mostly go into our mind – increasing the quality of the pool it has to draw from, I promise you will begin to realize new and wonderful results that most people will not enjoy in the entirety of their respective lifetimes.

You truly do have the power to make a difference if you will commit to this simple process. There really is no excuse to not at least test it to see if I am right. What you stand to gain should motivate you to take action now versus putting it off another moment. Make sure to jot down those 8 words I spoke of earlier. Here they are again so you don’t even scroll back up to go get them!

powerful, positive, ongoing, successful,
tremendous, awesome, wonderful, creative

THAT is how serious I am about you taking them and making them a part of your self-definition.


Sincerely and without hesitation,


Max
Beyond The Ordinary
( http://beyondtheordinary.net/maxlaing.shtml )

Be sure to check out http://AllowingSuccess.Com to discover the KEY to unlocking your Genuine Potential and what you can do to Remove what has been holding you back...

...FOREVER!

No comments: